EXHIBITION PREP II

Making the items into a wall-based arrangement immediately begins to distort the original system. When on the floor, a collection of obviously found objects makes almost too much sense – they are where they belong, which prevents the viewer to ask questions or attempt to find meanings/patterns in the same way. Once on the wall there is a sense of deliberateness: each object has been carefully placed in these specific places. Why?

Alphabetised by station: with labels
Alphabetised by station: no labels

A grid has instant connotations of order. Here, I have organised the objects alphabetically by the station they were found. Alphabet is a very obvious way to order, however, without knowing that he objects have a link to stations it would be difficult for the viewer to figure out any pattern. This is contradicted by the labels which straight away give it away. The fact that the objects burst out of their boxes creates a tension between order and disorder which relates well to my ideas about creating systems where there are none. Forcing things to fit into an invented structure.

I removed the labels as I think they take away more than they add: all mystery and subtlety is contradicted by telling the audience exactly what they are seeing. Visually, the piece is much cleaner and more impactful without the tags.

Is this “cleanness” to much? Is the idea of neatly ordering grubby, found objects a bit done? Or does the fact that they don’t fit in their neat boxes enough to suggest something more than just an exploration of order?

Seeing as these were just quick experiments, I didn’t want to waste time figuring out how to attach these final things to the wall. I kind of like the fact that they are separate as it, again, adds to the question of why I have made the choices I have made. As the artist I could come up with a complex reason as to why they are separate, when in reality it was purely practical. I am creating my own logic that the viewer has no choice but to go along with.